Indus Valley Civilization Resources

I’ll be making several posts in the next few days on the Indus Valley Civilization and the city of Mohenjo-Daro. Below are some of the resources I used to compile the information and that I use when I teach about ancient India. I’ll update the list as my posts evolve…


Mohenjo-Daro in Photographs - a great site with lots of good information and photographs about the ancient city. There is also an extensive bibliography to explore.

Harappa - a sister site to the one above about the sister city to Mohenjo-Daro, again, lot’s of photos and info.

Information from Encyclopædia Britannica about India - quite an extensive set of entries on the Indus River Civilization.

Wikipedia - Indus Valley Civilization - I’m sure you know the drill with Wikipedia.

The First Cities (Amazon link) - this book is part of a series by Time-Life, and I believe it’s out of print. It is available used through Amazon or possibly your local used bookstore. The book has info and lots of pictures and illustrations on several ancient cities including Mohenjo-Daro.

Harappa and the Indus River - from Washington State University

Economics of the Indus Valley Civilization - A short essay with pictures